MENU
CLOSE

Business Studies

I enjoy that Business Studies is practical and we are often required to go out into the real world of work

Sixth Form Pupil

GCSE (Edexcel)- Business Studies and Economics 

Why should students study this course?

●  To encourage students to be inspired, moved and challenged by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study and gain an insight into related sectors. It should prepare students to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices.
●  To actively engage in the study of business and economics to develop as effective and independent students and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
●  To use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements.
●  To develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts.
●  To appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities.
●  To consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable.

Skills   

The following are skills within business contexts you would be expected to develop during the course:

●  practical skills – time management, personal organisation and action planning
●  presentational skills – addressing audiences using a variety of media and forms
●  personal skills – showing evidence of progression
●  interpersonal skills – communication and group work
●  cognitive skills – reflection and review of own and others’ performances.

What does the course consist of? 

Unit 1 Introduction to Small Business

This unit concentrates on the key issues and skills involved in enterprise. It provides a framework to consider the marketing, financial, human and operational issues involved in starting and running a small business.

Unit 2 Investigating Small Business

In this unit students will use the content of unit 1 to research, analyse and evaluate a selected task on enterprise issues. Students select one Edexcel set task from a choice of five.

Unit 5 Introduction to economic understanding

This unit introduces students to the principles of economic understanding to provide a broad national and international perspective of the subject area.

How will students be assessed?

Unit 1: Written examination (45 minutes) (25% of the total GCSE)

Unit 2: Internally assessed under controlled conditions (3 hours write up) (25% of the total GCSE)

Unit 5: Written examination (1 hour 30 minutes) (50% of the total GCSE)

AS/A2 (AQA) Applied Business Double award

What will the course involve?
As the ‘Applied’ title suggests we try to give you a greater involvement with businesses, so more trips to businesses, more research of real businesses and a greater development of the personal skills you will need to do well in a business.  The Applied course is worth 2 A Levels, so you spend double the amount of time studying it than on a single A Level subject. The course involves 50% coursework and 50% exams, so is perfect if your strengths lie in producing coursework.

This course enables candidates to develop both a broad understanding of Applied Business principles and gives them the opportunity to focus on a specific pathway, eg Marketing, Finance, Human Resources and Administration. In addition, the qualification covers a mixture of teaching and learning experiences from the theoretical through to those with a clear practical emphasis.

AS Coursework units:

UNIT 1- Investigating business

UNIT 2- People in business

UNIT 7- Career planning

AS exams units:

UNIT 3- Financial planning and monitoring

UNIT 4- Meeting customer needs

UNIT 5- Business communication and information systems

A2 Coursework units:

UNIT 8- Business planning

UNIT 10– Promotional activities

UNIT 14- Managing change

A2 exam units:

UNIT 11- Marketing environment

UNIT 12- Managing people

UNIT 15- Financial accounting for managers

CLICK HERE FOR A-LEVEL ACCOUNTING (2016)

CLICK HERE FOR A-LEVEL BUSINESS STUDIES (2016)

back to top