Enhanced School Experience Days
We offer a series of enhanced school experience days which provide an opportunity to meet with teachers, past trainees and pupils to help those considering a career in teaching gain an insight into the life of a busy and successful school. This will include an opportunity to observe lessons and to meet with school leaders who will guide you in what it takes to provide outstanding teaching and learning. These visits will also provide an opportunity to ask questions about the teacher training and the opportunities we and our partner schools can offer.
The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School has strong track record of success and this we believe makes us an ideal place to start a rewarding career in teaching.
Be part of the success story!
- In 2017-2018, the School Direct training outcomes were graded 86% outstanding and 100% good to outstanding.
- 19.2% of grades attained at A-Level were at A* (well over twice the national average), with 78.4% at A* - B, while fourteen students obtained places at Oxbridge.
- For the sixth year in a row we have been at the top of The Times's school league table for all Catholic comprehensive schools at A-Level.
- At GCSE, the proportion of grades at 9, 8 & 7 (i.e. equivalent to the old A* & A grades) was extremely high – 55.5
- According to The Times, the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School is the highest performing comprehensive school of any time for boys in the country.
These Enhanced School Experience Placement Days are part of our recruitment drive. Our preference is that all who join us on these days are serious considering making an application to us through UCAS. We are unfortunately unable to offer school experience days to those trainees who have already secured a School Direct or PGCE placement with a provider.
Spaces are limited to 30 per day and are allocated on first come, first serve basis. Visits are limited to one per person and we cannot offer multiple days to an individual.
8.50 – 9.00 Arrival
Meet a school leader for tea/coffee in Library
9.00 – 10.00 Session 1
Introduction and overview to CVMS, RBTSA and School Direct and ITT
Understanding Educational Landscapes
10.00 – 11.10 Session 2
Safeguarding Young People
The Professional Standards and DGO presentation on ‘How to Observe a Lesson’
Group Task – Designing a learning task
Feedback with group presentations
11.10 – 11.30 Tea/coffee in the library
11.30 - 12.30 Session 3
Feedback with group presentations (continued where necessary)
Meet and Q/A with previous School Direct trainees
12.30 - 1.30
Lunch (sandwiches provided)
1.30 - 2.30 Session 3
30 attendees divided into 6 groups of five taken to selected classes on chosen day.
2.30 - 3.30 Session 4
Feedback and debrief